Re: Sit-Ins (sessions)/MORE

Then Gordon wrote:
>  Now it's on the line at last!
>  This is just short sighted, narrow attiude stuff from small minded
>  muso's.  > 	(Not aimed at the poster by the way)
>
>  Too much *FEAR* is the real thing going on, too much insecurity among
>  folk who should be more aware than to say these things.
>
>  Can I see a hint of professional jelousy AKA Witch Huntion at the back of
>  *SOME* of this I wonder.
[*NOT* a flame people]
I don't think your comment on "small minded muso's" was called for, Gordon.
It's a totally different attitude and situation over here, so unless you've
been a part of it, don't necessarily knock it, okay? :-)

I think I have to side with John G. on this one Gordon.  The "sessions"
over in your neck of the woods are quite different than the "open jams" here,
we've already agreed on that.  However, attitudes from the club owners,
club patrons and musicians are (or at least seem to be) extremely different
here compared to your experiences.  *I* personally do not feel that we
have any "professional jealousy" or insecurities, it's just that people
who gig professionally (i.e. make their living doing this) don't need a
harder time than they already have in getting gigs.  They work their
asses off (well, MOST do), and it's just not fair to them to be turned
down so the owner can have some "open jam" and pocket the profit they
made by NOT having to pay a "working" musician.  You ARE RIGHT, however,
about *FEAR*, but NOT in the way *you* think.  *I* for one have a fear of
this kind of thing becoming TOO popular, and not leaving any decent paying
places left to play.  Kinda like Country Line Dancing clubs. ;-)

Your "sessions" are made up of just anyone coming to play, and that's fine.
But here people play to provide entertainment at a (sometimes) fair price,
and I feel as John does that "open-jams" sort of undermine the whole "gig
scene".  To *me* (IMO), "open-jams" are more for the people like:

  "Hot-Doggers"  -  Who are always trying to show off or show up fellow
                    musicians.
  "Musical Hobbyists"  -  The people who used to play professionally or
                          just consider music their hobby.
  "Wannabes"  -  Those people unable or too lazy to get their *own* bands
                 or solo gigs.

For me, it would be the same thing if my company replaced me with some
kid who just does my kind of work as a "hobby". ;-)

While I agree that there is some local talent that needs to be brought
to people's attention, these "open jams" shouldn't necessarily be "THE
ANSWER".  I feel that if they (the "open-jammer") are serious enough
about being a so-called "musician", then they should have to go out and
hit the pavement just like everyone else and try to get gigs the good
old-fashioned way... by working hard and EARNING the right to play! :-)

Just my added two,
Craig S.

|  Craig Smoot                                                        |
|  Systems Analyst / Programmer / Musician                            |
|  Gradkell Systems, Inc. - Huntsville, AL                            |
|  (craig@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) ...And NO, I'm not in the Army! ;-)   |