Harp holding / Problem?

Hey all,

Hope everyone had a good and safe L-Day Weekend! :-)  I've got TWO
questions for ya today if you don't mind humoring a beginner. ;-)

[Correct holding of the Harp]
Well, per Jack Ely's WONDERFUL 'Diatonic Tips' doc and many pictures
of famous harp players that I've seen, Jack states that the correct
way to hold the harp is:
    HOLDING THE HARMONICA:

    	 The harmonica is held in the crotch or "V" formed between your left
         thumb and index finger. The highest note (tone), or hole # 10
         should be to your right. The heel of your right thumb rests and
         pivots on the length of your left thumb and raps around under the
         harmonica forming a sound chamber, left fingers lay along the
         length of the harmonica, the right fingers form a cup, meeting or
         slightly overlapping the left finger tips.
Well, I actually feel more comfortable holding the harp in the exact OPPOSITE
way as Jack descibes (i.e. held in the "V" of the RIGHT hand, and cup with
the LEFT hand).  I was wondering if *my* "preference" of harp holding might
lead to any reprocussions or problems later down the road?  In other words,
is there any specific reasons for holding it in the way Jack states?

[Possible harp problem]
This may or may not be a "serious" problem, but my harp may not be function-
ing to it's utmost ability.  When I try to draw on holes 1, 2 and 3 they
don't sound as clean and clear as say holes 4-10, they are quite muffled
and harder to draw (i.e. MORE air pressure is required to even make them
sound).  *AND* the #10 hole has an almost similar problem when blowing
into it.  Anybody know what the problem could be, and if SO do you have
any possible suggestions on how *I* might be able to maintenance it
myself?  (I have an A major Lee Oskar in case you were wondering).  This
harp condition is making it more difficult to practice effectively IMO.

[When to lay out]
I think it as important if not MORE to know when NOT to play when it comes
to performances.  And for *me*, this goes for ANY instrument!  Granted, I
am just starting to learn the harp, but believe me, I will also be focusing
on harp rhythm playing as well as scales and licks. :-)  Oh well, that's
my little $.01 on the subject.

Thanks for your time everyone! :-)
Craig S.

|  Craig Smoot                                                        |
|  Systems Analyst / Programmer / Musician                            |
|  Gradkell Systems, Inc. - Huntsville, AL                            |
|  (craig@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) ...And NO, I'm not in the Army! ;-)   |