Re: Sit-Ins (sessions)/MORE

> Date sent:      Mon, 05 Sep 1994 06:42:25 -0700 (MST)
> From:           Barry Schaede <barrys@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Send reply to:  Harp-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject:        Re: Sit-Ins (sessions)/MORE
> To:             Harp-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

> A mercenary lot we Americans.  I suspect that part of what got on the
> list about sessions taking away paid musicians venues was due to the
> mistaken belief that if you're paid you're professional and this is
> somehow better.  I found much of the jam etiquitte discussions on friday
> to  be somewhat depressing.   a whole bunch of focus on who's being bad.
> A lot of namecalling and virtually no focus on what in my opinion should
> really be a t the heart of the discussion.  Playing music with others and
> the sharing that can take place in a nurturant and sharing environment.  FJM

It is easy to become mercenary about anything we do on which we
depend for a living.  Free is a four-letter word.

I agree that there are venues which should be free.  In the Wash. DC
area there is a salon restricted to performers of music.  They bring
their instruments and play for each other.  Space limitations
restricts the get-togethers to performers only.  It works.