: My two cents

There's a difference between reading music and the written word.  There
are people that don't read music for whom the music that they don't read
exists in their heads as real and absolutely as if it were being played
at that moment.  All they have to do is hear it once.  I've met no one
that has this ability with written words spoken aloud.  The point of
written words is not to capture spoken words so that they be spoken again
and again.  It's a form of communication unto its own.  This is also
true of musical notation but to a much lesser degree. I can read music,
but not for harmonica.  That's not how I learned to play it.  I think
there is tremendous value in having good ear ability.  The interesting
thing about all this ear notation fuss.  If you don't have a good ear you
can practise for the rest of your life and not get it.  If you can't read
music you can learn.  Larry Adler didn't learn to read music until the
middle of his very long career.  (this tidbit courtesy of HH&HB and Kim
Field)  FJM