RE: CX-12 to replace my elderly Chrometta 12? Other recommendations?

parker_b%aplvax.span@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Bo Parker) writes:

>My 12-year-old Chrometta 12 has finally given up the ghost (the plastic has
>started cracking and pieces of it are coming off). I know that the
[...]

>Anyway, I've been considering getting a CX-12 to replace the Chrometta 12,
>but I'd like to know - is it similar to the Chrometta 12 in sound and
>"pressure" required to get a clean, loud note? Does anyone out there have
>both and can give a short comparison?

I can't compare them, but I can tell you a "Little" about the CX-12.
At the SPAH convention I considered buying one (ended up getting a 270
due to cost).  It is a VERY nice Harp.  The design is quite
revolutionary....  The slide comes out by pressing a tab on the back
of it, then just pull it out.  No screws to undo to get it apart for
cleaning.  I didn't see the plates and comb taken out, but it is
supposed to just push to the side then pull out also.

I talked to Winslow and Mr Farrell a good bit about the CX-12.  It
feels pretty sturdy, and I heard a guy plan one that he's had for a
year or so, and it sounded nice.  Winslow says that he doesn't think
the CX-12 is "loud" enough for his tastes (I believe that was the word
he used, but don't quote me), but he also heard that the metalic
colored CX-12's (as opposed to the Ivory, Black, and Maroon ones)
played a bit louder (don't know if that is fact or not...merely
heresay at this point).

It seems to be a really great harp.  I'm sure Winslow and some others
could tell you aLOT more, but this is just a bit for you (that's about
all I know).

At the convention, everything in Farrell's store was 40% off...the
Hohner Chromatic 270 was $59, and the CX-12 was $100 (which was
actually $5 BELOW 40% off).

But I didn't have enough for the CX-12 and the trip home, so I got the
270 (which I'm please with so far, but I'm not looking forward to the
first cleaning).  #:)

Hope this helps!

Chris