[Harp-L] Cleaning chromatic harmonicas

Michael Easton diachrome@xxxxx
Fri Oct 28 09:55:56 EDT 2016

Don’t worry about the windsavers.  Just don’t use the heat mode on reed plates with valves attached or plastic combs.

Been using ultrasonics for 40+ years and 15 of them on chromatic parts.

3 things you need to be careful about is the liquid soap you use in the cleaner.

1)While the perfume scent doesn’t cling to silverware it does to metal harmonica parts and valves.
Use cleaners without perfume and coloring. They serve no useful purpose.

2) NEVER EVER use soaps with Aloe in them.  The aloe will not fully dissolve and act like glue sticking to the windsavers.

No heat, aloe, perfume, coloring and you will be fine.

3) NEVER EVER use alcohol, petroleum based products, household cleaners or other explosive or toxic items in an ultrasonic cleaner.
The cleaners recommended for jewelry are too harsh for harp parts which are mostly plated.

Be careful, use wisely and enjoy the benefits of an ultrasonic.  I have parts for 6 270’s sitting in my now.

Mike
www.harmonicarepair.com