Re: [Harp-L] Re: Recording Harmonica

it depends on your style:
- acoustic thin sound (into the condenser mic from a distance, say
5-10 inches) - this allowsfor the hand effects like waw-waw, etc.
- or an acoustic sound through the dynamic mic.

I prefer the sound of through the dynamic/ribbon mic handheld with the
stereo pair of the condenser mics in front of me some 10 inches (one
mono front pic up and the other one in the figure of 8). This set-up
gives me me the flexibility of editing and mixing the sound to get
that meaty tone. you get the meet from the dynamic mic picking up the
sound from the behind of the comb and you can wet it with the mixed
stereo pair. the set up i described gives you further possibility to
widen or narrow the stereo field of the figure of 8 mic in the DAW,
which would be handy when you play along with the instruments and then
having a (think more stereo) solo attack.

- another option is to go for an amplified/chicago harp stype, buy I
assume you are not gonna discuss it using the condenser mics.

drop me your questions if you have some, i'm doing some experiments
when recording and so far so good.

--
Best regards,

Alexander Savelyev