Re: [Harp-L] Double thickness reed plates? [getting long]

It is true that the shorter reeds do not emerge on the back side of the reed plate.  That isnât a necessary condition for the reed to be a mechanical oscillator.  One puff per cycle still makes sound.  You push a child in a swing only at one end of the arc, then he âcoastsâ through most of the cycle. In a short vibrating reed, that brief pull occurs when the reed is above the plate and air is flowing through the slot.

My main point is that it is not the static breath pressure but the bernoulli effect of flow past the reed that agitates it. However, the breath pressure causes the flow to occur.  IF there is insufficient gap, the static breath pressure pushes the reed into the slot and holds it there.  Thus it âchokesâ and there is no vibration.  When the reed enters the slot, it must have sufficient velocity (kinetic energy) to complete the half-cycle in the slot and emerge again to feel the down pull of the flowing air. When the reed is at the extremes of its displacement, its energy is potentialâstored in the bending of the metal.  As it passes its at-rest point, its energy is kinetic stored in its moving mass.

Vern