Re: [Harp-L] Totally bored with the blues genre

On May 4, 2015, at 12:56 AM, Dennis Michael Montgomery wrote:

> I don't listen to blues enough to get bored.

I actually listened to quite a bit ..at one time. Admittedly I prefer the delta style. I guess this comes from back in 1961 when I bummed around the south for 10 months before going into the navy. I was working in a ship repair yard in Baton Rouge and used to take the ferry across to Port Allen to a roadhouse. Usually the only white person there, I had the blessing of having heard some of the old timer greats.

> One of the things I'm trying to do on a diatonic harp is play "They Call the Wind Mariah".

Ah yes, a 'goodie'. I (myself) play very little blues. I suppose that I could get my hands around it if I really tried, but frankly I don't think that I am culturally, or even genetically predisposed to be able to do it with conviction. Blues seems (to me) to be something that requires that extra 4%. Some I have heard are getting near that 96 percentile of authenticity. But there's still something missing. That missing Houdini factor. Maybe being born to it would help?

>   There is a lot of good music out there besides blues that one can and should play on a ten hole.  We should remember that when M. Hohner created the Marine Band he probably didn't know blues existed.

I myself started on chromatic at 12 1/2 and then diatonic at 16. I was in a doo-wop group and also played on other people's recordings. As well as commercials. Purina, American Motors, etc.  At 19 I quit for about 30 years and tried other instruments. Clarinet, sax, trumpet. In 1991 I went to my first spah and started playing harmonica again. I do mostly show tunes, big band, dance music, musicals, movie themes, pop, dixieland, and what 'I' would call jazzified swing. I don't consider myself an actual jazz player. But down here in Ft. Myers, I go over because I'm the only one doing it.

Not uncommon for me to be holding 2 or 3 diatonics on the same tune. OR chromatics and diatonics on the same tune. On my many appearances at Buckeye, Garden State, and Virginia harp fests I have mixed it up. Some Paul Simon, some DeBusey, some Billy Joel, some Ellington, some movie themes, some Latin, some country, even some Greek. lol. I like all music..IF done well. Now if only I could figure out a way to do it well. Oh well. :)

I would like to thank everyone at this time for all the nice things everyone has posted to me. I even received 11 off list notes.  I would thank everyone individually but that would jam up the list. So believe me when I say that I am grateful. Over the last 15 years here, I have only strove to help and/or give a different perspective. I love you folks.

smo-joe