Re: [Harp-L] History of harp tuning

On May 15, 2014, at 4:01 PM, Music Cal wrote:

> Steve Baker wrote:
>
> "This would appear to refute claims that the introduction of new tuning
> systems will increase the appeal of the harmonica (whether diatonic or
> chromatic) and boost sales. Unfortunately the evidence all points the other
> way. "
>
> I disagree with the claim you made. Consider these two customer groups:
>
> (1) Those that purchase or borrow a standard tuned harp. Out of frustration
> with the pitch layout they lose the desire to play the instrument. No
> future sales follow.

I would like to add group (1)a. To wit: Those that purchase or borrow a standard tuned harp. And out of, and I hesitate to call it frustration, but more likely annoyance
with the pitch layout, they change something so that they don't loose the desire to play the instrument. And yes, although future sales follow, they do NOT register as
sales of anything other than standard tunings.

> (2) Those that purchase or borrow a standard tuned harp. They accept the
> pitch layout and continue to play the instrument. Future sales follow.
>
> The majority of those who would consider playing an alternate tuning would
> be players who have already invested time and money in the playing of the
> harp.

This makes the most sense.

> That is, they will belong to group (2). It would be a hard sell to
> get a big fraction of group (2) to switch to an alternate tuning.

This is logical.

> Hence the
> 2% market number that you gave (I am assuming these are Seydel's numbers
> since Hohner and Suzuki do not offer alt tunings).
>
> So how does a manufacturer appeal to those in group (1)?

Offer alternate tunings. (Such as done with 'so called' country tuning). Surharges commensurate with difficulty. Like, for country...no charge. Configurator tunings...noticable.
AND I believe that Seydel, because they have come out from behind the 'curtain' only relatively recently, have, out of necessity, to (as Avis says), try harder.

smo-joe