Re: [Harp-L] History of harp tuning

Steve Baker wrote:

"This would appear to refute claims that the introduction of new tuning
systems will increase the appeal of the harmonica (whether diatonic or
chromatic) and boost sales. Unfortunately the evidence all points the other
way. "

I disagree with the claim you made. Consider these two customer groups:

(1) Those that purchase or borrow a standard tuned harp. Out of frustration
with the pitch layout they lose the desire to play the instrument. No
future sales follow.

(2) Those that purchase or borrow a standard tuned harp. They accept the
pitch layout and continue to play the instrument. Future sales follow.

The majority of those who would consider playing an alternate tuning would
be players who have already invested time and money in the playing of the
harp. That is, they will belong to group (2). It would be a hard sell to
get a big fraction of group (2) to switch to an alternate tuning. Hence the
2% market number that you gave (I am assuming these are Seydel's numbers
since Hohner and Suzuki do not offer alt tunings).

So how does a manufacturer appeal to those in group (1)? This is not an
easy question. Entrenchment of defacto standards have in the past been
considerable hurdles to change. But like Brendan I think that a number of
factors will change this inertia. I think the manufacturer that figures
this out will reap significant rewards. In the meantime the manufacturers
might benefit by offering (at extra cost as does Seydel) all of their harps
in alt tunings so that we can through experimentation play a significant
role in helping manufacturers figure this out while enabling us to take the
art in new directions.

Daniel