Re: [Harp-L] Muscle memory versus conceptual awareness

At the risk of urging you to waste/invest more time, the answer to your question involves studying both the sax and harmonica.

I don't think muscle memory or conceptual awareness has anything to do with it.

When you (or anybody) moves a tune from one instrument to another there are certain compromises. Just like in language, you cannot get a true translations from one language to another. There are always compromises because the same words and concepts don't exist is both languages.

Muscle memory only gets you familiar with the instrument at hand. In this case, the chrome. Maybe you're using the wrong chromatic. Since saxes today are mostly Bb and Eb you might need a half-valved richter chromatic in Bb or Eb  to play straight or 1st position or Eb and Ab for second position. While all keys are created equal, some sound better than on a dedicated instrument because the range is better suited to match a Bb or Eb instrument.

 I only know of one company for sure that will make you a Bb, Eb or Ab chromatic in your choice of tuning -- equal temperament, compromise and just -- Seydel on a 12 hole chrome.  Plus th e range on sax -- Bb below treble staff to F three+  ledger lines above the staff. This range may require a custom layout for whatever key you decide on.

I probably own some Herring chromatics in those bastard keys -- but I haven't checked them out lately and most likely never played any of them after I bought them from F and R Farrell back in the day.  I have no idea how you would purchase a Herring chromatic today.

The second position may be the most efficient  for bent notes and glissando. The half-valved cuts down on air leakage and allows blow bends and draw  bends of at least a half-step.  (The richter  chromatic  has the same layout as a blues harp but the button raises all notes a half-step.)

Just like sliding from a piano black key to a white key -- Eb to E or Bb to B -- can be duplicated on a chromatic, it will never sound the same because of the different ways the glissando is produced. Timbre is only part of the problem. Joe Leone may have a solution to this problem with his position playing on the chromatic, which may require more than one custom chrome to handle a variety of keys.

Since you've done you homework (woodshedding) your next step is either to take up the sax or consult with a sax/harmonica player to determine what the real differences between the instruments are. At this point, you might be better off dealing with a sax player who plays jazz and jazz chromatic.

Hope this helps
Phil