[Harp-L] Muscle memory versus conceptual awareness

Dear Harp-l,
I have spent the last year learning jazz saxophone solos note for note on
the chromatic.  I have always felt that I was faking it when I played a
jazz gig.  Recently I spent a couple of years studying theory and even took
about 10 lessons from Wim Dijkgraaf who I recommend and perhaps will study
further with later.  I would have continued but our schedules were not
matching.

In any case,  although I could play notes that made sense with the tune, I
still felt like I didn't sound like jazz.  At SPAH last year I went to Jens
Bunge's (Spelling?  I feel I am way off) class on jazz improvisation and he
talked a lot about transcribing solos note for note.  This was not the
first time I heard this information but for some reason I got inspired.

What is strange to me is I have transcribed hundreds of blues solos and
other music as well.  I spend LOTS of time transcribing with my students.
Why didn't I connect the dots with jazz?  Perhaps I felt daunted.

In any case,  I seem to spend around two weeks per song.  I learn the
entirety of what the sax player does on a song, so some songs are very
complex and I spend longer.   What I notice is I tend to be able to play
the song at 60% speed and then find it very hard to get faster and I also
lose my attention span.

So it would seem to me if I dedicated myself to memorizing every tune at
speed,  I would have much more muscle memory, but each song would take much
longer and I would get bored.

Whereas my current method gives me SOME muscle memory and feeds me new
information with every song improving my conceptual awareness of how people
play jazz.

 I sense my way is better for the way I learn but I am wondering if anyone
has opinions and reasons why I should work harder on memorization and
playing up to speed.
Thanks,
Michael Rubin
michaelrubinharmonica.com