From: Barry Bean <bbbean@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: harp-l <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wed, Jun 4, 2014 3:19 pm
Subject: Blues vs classical - was: Re: Subject: [Harp-L] The name "blues"

On 6/4/2014 2:33 AM, EGS1217@xxxxxxx wrote:
> 'Formal' music education is all well and good--and I'm certainly not
> knocking it but to my mind nothing touches as deeply or beats hearing someone
> expressing their innermost feelings through their music.

I grew up on a steady diet of blues, soul, and gospel, and I've been
privileged enough to meet and work with some of the world's finest
players in the genre (and others). But I have to say that the notion
that a blues (or jazz, or folk, or whatever) musician is somehow
expressing deeper or more closely held feelings through their playing
than players in any other genre is misguided at best, and insulting at
worst. I've never met or worked with a good musician who didn't feel
what they were playing, regardless of genre. To suggest that improvised
genres are somehow "truer" than classical genres is on a par with the
suggestion that "untrained" musicians are somehow lesser musicians than
classically trained players.

Crux of the issue: There's a reason Baskin Robbins sells 31 flavors.