Subject: [Harp-L] The name "blues"

Doug: You've expressed everything I'VE been feeling for a while now. Pete
too.

The first 'instrument' was the human voice. Then basically sticks, animal
skins stretched over frames to make drums--anything which made sound to
communicate. Using one's bodies as well: to tap, click, jump around.
Expression.  Communication. From there, the Universe.

'Formal' music education is all well and good--and I'm certainly not
knocking it but to my mind nothing touches as deeply or beats hearing someone
expressing their innermost feelings through their music. And Blues music is
one  such  which came directly from the Souls of people who were oppressed and
 had no other form of expression. It's such an authentic and deeply felt
music or  wouldn't have so many adherents to this day. Why else are there
people in far  corners of the World who don't otherwise speak English YET still
feel driven to  create bands specifically to play Blues in the styles of
those  long-ago American musicians?

Who the heck cares if 'some' of the riffs might be repetitive?  The people
originally making that music weren't widely traveled--how could they  be?
But I have a book of authentic Blues songs I've acquired and there's far  more
to Blues music than Mr. Ashby thinks. My CD's with Big Walter, Little
Walter, SonnyBoy I and II, Frank Frost, Sonny Terry and the myriad players who
lived and played alongside them and who came after them touch a place in my
own  Soul no other music can.

I don't play Blues but have good friends who do and I'm a huge fan, so I'm
glad you and others wrote before I did. It's helped me temper my comments
considerably. :)

Elizabeth

"Message: 9