[Harp-L] Daisy chaining amps, was Running Amps In Tandem

Hi Peter,

I recall reading that when Randy Bachman recorded American Woman with the Guess Who he got that distinctive tone by running the output of one amp into another. Apparently they destroyed some amps in the process of recording the song. The output of a guitar pickups is measured in millivolts, an amplifier's output is measured in volts.

Message: 1
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2014 21:17:43 -0500
From: Peter Madcat Ruth<madcat@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Running amps in Tandem?
To: Buck Worley<boogalloo@xxxxxxx>
Cc: "harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx"<harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>

On Dec 4, 2014, at 8:17 PM, Buck Worley<boogalloo@xxxxxxx> wrote:
How does one run 2 amps in tandem (if that's what you call it)? Let's say 2 Champ type amps. Run the mic into amp #1 and run a cable out of the #2 input and into amp#2's #1 input?? I have never tried this
When I saw Paul Butterfield in 1967 he was doing this. His microphone was plugged into input #1 of a Fender Princeton Reverb amp, and there was a guitar cable from the Princeton’s #2 input to the #1 input of a Fender Twin Reverb amp. But I have never tried it myself.

Peter Madcat Ruth
Musician - Grammy Award Winner
      madcat@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
      home phone: 734-761-8518