[Harp-L] Facebook vs Harp-L

I am grateful for HARP-L - there are a lot of good people here you don’t find on Facebook. HARP-L has a long, long history. But HARP-L is now 3 generations behind the way people with common interests communicate online. I fear it is attracting very few new members and that will only get worse. Old members are dying. Surely HARP-L’s audience is shrinking. “Listservs” pre-date internet “forums” such as Adam Gussow’s “Modern Blues Harmonica” forum (and a host of others). Internet forums have been common for 15 years or so. Yahoo Groups are a form of forum as well. Then came “blogs”.  And now we have “social networking” like Facebook. There are MANY harmonica-related groups on Facebook. The younger the person, the more likely they are to use ONLY the newest forms and stick with them. They’re also more likely to migrate to the Next Great Thing when it happens.

It is a shame that HARP-L doesn’t move to a newer format that has a web-based user interface and is more searchable, more organized, more flexible. But it takes effort and administration to make that happen. I don’t have time to volunteer - do you?  and I certainly don’t want to look a gift horse in the mouth. Once again, I’m grateful for HARP-L and appreciative of the work that does go into to keeping it running. Now, SPAH - there’s an organization that could and perhaps should take the reins and drive. Perhaps the SPAH and/or HARP-L management want to comment.

/Greg