 From: Greg Heumann <greg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Tuesday, August 19, 2014 9:25 PM
Subject: [Harp-L] Facebook vs Harp-L

I am grateful for HARP-L - there are a lot of good people here you donât find on Facebook. HARP-L has a long, long history. But HARP-L is now 3 generations behind the way people with common interests communicate online. I fear it is attracting very few new members and that will only get worse. Old members are dying. Surely HARP-Lâs audience is shrinking. âListservsâ pre-date internet âforumsâ such as Adam Gussowâs âModern Blues Harmonicaâ forum (and a host of others). Internet forums have been common for 15 years or so. Yahoo Groups are a form of forum as well. Then came âblogsâ. And now we have âsocial networkingâ like Facebook. There are MANY harmonica-related groups on Facebook. The younger the person, the more likely they are to use ONLY the newest forms and stick with them. Theyâre also more likely to migrate to the Next Great Thing when it happens.

It is a shame that HARP-L doesnât move to a newer format that has a web-based user interface and is more searchable, more organized, more flexible. But it takes effort and administration to make that happen. I donât have time to volunteer - do you? and I certainly donât want to look a gift horse in the mouth. Once again, Iâm grateful for HARP-L and appreciative of the work that does go into to keeping it running. Now, SPAH - thereâs an organization that could and perhaps should take the reins and drive. Perhaps the SPAH and/or HARP-L management want to comment.

/Greg