Sent: Thursday, October 24, 2013 11:41 AM
To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Harp-L] Substitute for tweed champ

I've been out of the scene for several years, playing only the
occasional sit in and studio gigs, but I'm starting to pick up a few
more harp gigs. I have a great 6X8 Sonny Jr Bassman clone amp that's
great for big rooms or battling obnoxious guitarists, but I've been
using my mid-50s tweed champ for gigs with a decent sound man or small
rooms.
Unfortunately, it's beginning to pick up a few crackles it didn't used
to have, and a quick check of prices show it's worth a whole lot more
than the $250 I paid for it in 1990 or so.
So I'm thinking I should set it aside with my 54 Les Paul amp for studio
use only and get something a little newer and more easily replaceable
for gigs. I've seen the website for the Harpgear 2 amp, and am trying to
track down a Sonny Jr., but are there any other comparable small tube
amps worth checking out  these days? I'm not made of money, but I'm
willing to spend a few extra $$$ to get something that sounds right. I'd
much rather have a $1500 amp that barks like my sax than to have a $200
amp that yips like a chihuahua.
Suggestions?

BB