Re: [Harp-L] Don Les "Harmonica Boogie"

On May 1, 2013, at 6:35 PM, Rick Dempster wrote:

> You have to wait to the minute-forty mark to hear Don's amazing diatonic on
> 'Harmonica Boogie'. The rest, not wishing to be unkind, is going to sound a
> bit stodgy
> to ears accustomed to Little Walter etc. I find Don's playing on things
> like 'After you've gone', 'All of Me' etc. much more interesting. Even
> though he plays like a hot clarinet player here,
> if I want harmonica boogies, I can get 'em anywhere (yawn) I'm more
> interested to hear Don's playing over the changes. On a C harp, Bb, F,
> C,D,E, A, D and G chords can all be arpeggiated with NO OVERBLOWING,
> but nobody ever bothers just playing the damn thing in 1st (what it was
> designed to do best) and running those changes. Now I'm not great at it,
> but I'm trying. Anyone else out there in harmonica land?
> RD

I have played in this style since I started diatonic in 1959. And I didn't meet Don till 30 years later. :) Maybe the only difference is that I play the SAME tunes that I play in both 1st. AND 2nd. positions. I think I thought that this was the way it was supposed to BE. For second position, I have always raised the 5 & 9 draws and put a windsaver on the 5 draw.
smo-joe