Re: [Harp-L] Amp Mods

I've had a G60 for several years. I've actually been asked to turn down. If you monkey with the volume and gain controls I think you'll find you can get a pretty dirty sound without any mods. My experience is that going to lower gain preamp tubes gives you a wider range on the volume control knobs before feedback. That's not a bad thing. It's easier to dial in the sound you want. As has been pointed out, leave the reverb tube alone. I've tried multiple combinations of 12A* tubes. A lot of it depends on how you play and what kind of mic you use. I think you'll find that dynamic and crystal/ceramic mics are very different. Be sure to use the low sensitivity switch setting. Most high impedance mics are hotter than guitars. I have a Weber ceramic magnet speaker in it that I got 6 or 7 years ago. It's a 12F150-O-50w with moderate doping. (Just stumbled across the receipt yesterday when going through a box of electronic junk.) It was the one Ted Weber suggested specifically for harp. I've been happy with it. I also tried an old alnico magnet speaker that originally came from an organ. I got a little uneasy about blowing it out although it sounded good. I think the alnico vs ceramic magnet speaker thing isn't as big a deal as some people make it out to be.

You might consider a high impedance buffer if you have a crystal or ceramic mic. They have a much higher impedance than a dynamic mic. Guitar amps usually have around 100K input impedance. Crystal/ceramic mics like about 5 M. There are kits and circuit diagrams galore on the web. A basic buffer is a very simple circuit. The project box may cost you more than the components.

Steve Ahola on his http://blueguitar.org/ site has some circuit mods for the G40. I really don't know if they are harp friendly or not. He's a nice guy and readily responds to email inquiries.