Re: [Harp-L] Over-priced Custom Big Rivers and the Future of the Blues

Ever the salesman, Tom.

My overhead for a custom GM, not counting labor, is a lot more than $35,
and I know that you know that.  You also know that my pricing for a
traditional harmonica is well under $250.   I don't recall commenting on
the cost of the SUB30 being unfair.  I gladly paid retail and then took my
own free time to try and improve it.  I have posted, though, that such an
instrument should probably be priced near that of a chromatic. Heck, I am a
Hohner endorser!  $300ish for a MINT diatonic that let's you bend notes
like this is totally appropriate in my book.  I would play around $300 for
the type of SUBs Brendan had.

I think you get what you pay for.  My custom prices are consistent with my
competitors, and I feel morally obligated to stay close to their prices for
comparable work for a number of reasons.  I think cutting corners,
undercutting price, trying to steal clients, or delivering an inferior
product just to save a few bucks or grow my business takes the meaning out
of what I am trying to do and is classless.  For example, you'd never see
me emailing or calling friends of the competition to get a cut of their
action.  I could easily give free or cheap harps to pro players that are
worth $250, as I am friends with quite a few, just to get something in
return, but why?  FWIW, I did give one player a free harp because I screwed
up a booking arrangement that cost him $40.

To each his own, really.  I don't care what people play.  Should I be of
some help to them, though, all the better for me! If this means doing
custom work, then so be it. I mean, really, if I was in it for the money, I
could easily sell $100-$125 harps all day long.

Back to my participation recently on Harp-l, which was around the SUB30...I
think $185 or around there is totally reasonable, but I would totally
assume having to tweak the gapping no matter who I was.  I've put about
10hrs of playing in on it, and it is the only non-Richter harp I've been
that into.  That being said, my personal Marine Bands let me to every bit
as much and are easier for me to play - they are louder and I am more
familiar with the note layout.