 From: David Payne <dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Harp L Harp L <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, October 29, 2012 6:02 AM
Subject: Re: [Harp-L]Comb test

Absolutely 2010 SPAH test changed me. The fact "nobody can tell the difference in comb material" had been browbeaten into me for years that I had come to believe it and I had assigned various other attributes for tone.
There were three combs I believe in that test. Two of them were very close. Then there was another that when I heard it, it was like a fist in the ear compared to the others. It stood out that much. I looked at the reaction of the players and they're all looking like there is no difference. There's no change in the audience's demeanor. I  thought "what the hell, people? Surely you can hear this, for chrissakes." Everybody was acting like they heard nothing.
I was just there as an observer, but I noted when I heard the brass and I was usually right. There were times the brass did not sound like itself - this was due to leaks that Brandon mentioned - the harps did sound, on occasion, very weak. When all was equal, the brass rang like a telephone. I still don't know how that didn't turn out to be the definite test that you could tell the difference. I don't know if I was the only one paying attention, I don't know if they should have passed out Q-tips before hand, or if I was the only one who could hear it. But it was SOOOOO obvious.

David Payne
www.elkriverharmonicas.com

Elk River Harmonicas Forum now available via Iphone app, www.elkriverharmonicas.com/forum