Re: [Norton AntiSpam]Subject: Re: [Harp-L] gussing, bad behaviour, and lack of respect for others

Thanks Elizabeth, It's about respect for the audience too. As I mentioned a couple of days ago, my first encounter with a gusser was at a Muddy Waters show in the late 70's, which because of his death turned out to be the last time I saw him perform. It really irks me that I had to listen to some drunk hippie shouting and blowing out of key harp for the first 15 minutes of Muddy's set. I kept expecting the bouncers would deal with him, finally I had word with him myself and he put the harp away and toned down a little. I was thanked by several audience members. He was young (as was I) drunk, (as was I) and excited (as was I), I may have had a harp in my pocket, certainly would have in the car, but never would I have considered that Muddy or Jerry Portnoy needed my help.  I am bewildered that this is even a debate by adults.
 ----- Original Message -----
  From: EGS1217@xxxxxxx
  To: jameshoskinz@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  Cc: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
  Sent: Thursday, November 08, 2012 7:29 PM
  Subject: [Norton AntiSpam]Subject: Re: [Harp-L] gussing, bad behaviour, and lack of respect for others

  I'm with you, James. It's not only about etiquette and taste, it's about plain RESPECT (Aretha's R-e-s-p-e-c-t)<G>. If you don't have any for the player/vocalist/band onstage, then don't expect it back when it's YOUR turn up there. I'm quite sure those of you who think you're 'all that' are the first ones to pitch a fit at Gus when he's interrupting your own show, good or not, on-key or not.

  Rosco, Grant and James have my vote. It's purely bad behaviour and shouldn't be tolerated at all. Has nothing to do with being judgmental and 'casting the first stone' and everything to do with self-respect and simple good manners.

  Then harp players complain bitterly when other musicians don't take them seriously AS musicians?

  Elizabeth--planning to bring my keyboard to the next show I attend now that some here think Gussing's cool. Hey, I'll PLAY in key! ;)

  Message: 10