From: Eric Nielsen <ericbarnak@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Best way to play Ashokan Farewell
"I play it exactly as you suggest--with the 6 hole overblow. The change in
timbre with
the overblown reed colors and accentuates the flatted seventh--an important
note in this beautiful tune.
Of course, one has to sustain an overblow--with vibrato: but that's a good
reason for spending some time on
developing technique."

Eric
----------

> Ken Burns did it with unaccompanied violin. Of course in his documentary it
was background music for pictures and voice-over. It requires dead-on intonation
and just-right vibrato.

> Our band does it starting unaccompanied, adding second violin, then
finger-picked guitar and finally bass and piano.  We reason that changing the
accompaniment by adding instruments keeps it from being monotonous.  Unless you
are a diatonic purist, C or D chromatic works very well.

> Changing keys for the repeat might also add some variety.
>
> Vern
 Cheers, Vern. I'm glad you said that.  Ashokan with us has become a bit like
Duelling Banjos or the Wild Rover. It is a pretty monotonous, threadbare melody
that works very nicely as long as the musicians playing it indulge in their
fertile imaginations. What you say your band does is, in essence though not in
particulars, just what my band does! :-)

------------------------------

Message: 12
Date: Sun, 6 May 2012 17:38:22 -0700
From: David Naiditch <davidnaiditch@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Suggestion for playing "Ashokan Farewell"
To: harp-l harp-l <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>

If interested, here is a version I did in 2005 using a D-tuned chromatic,
together with my guitar backup and a bit of harmonica harmony.  (This was done
as a ProTools exercise, to learn how to record multiple tracks.)

       http://soundcloud.com/david-naiditch/ashokan-farewell-david

--David Naiditch
www.davidnaiditch.com