Re: [Harp-L] Chromatic beginner question

Javier -

I might suggest Douglas Tate's "Play the Harmonica Well." Douglas was an excellent classical chromatic player and offers very sensible advice. If you can find a copy of any of Tommy Reilly's books, get those as well.

Books written for flute or oboe address flute challenges and oboe challenges - breathing, fingering technique, etc. Harmonica challenges are different. You can use use books written for other wind instruments to good effect, but you'll face some gaps.

Online lessons via Skype may be an option. I offer them as does Robert Bonfiglio and, I'm sure others as well. Live, in-person lessons are always the best, but Skype cal still be very helpful.

Glad you've taken up the challenge.

Winslow

Winslow Yerxa
Harmonica instructor, The Jazzschool for Music Study and Performance
Resident expert, bluesharmonica.com
Columnist, harmonicasessions.com