[Harp-L] "In a Yuletide Groove" is a kick-ass Christmas album

Hello all Harp-L'ers,

Saw the posts earlier this month on Chris Bauer's "In A Yuletide Groove" CD and thought I'd chime in.

I ordered this album from Amazon (digital download, only $9, not a bad deal at all) last week and I have listened to it maybe thirty times since then. I think it is a fantastic album and well worth the money. I know someone had posted that the songs are too familiar and that lesser-known Christmas tunes should have been used, but Christmas is one of the few holidays where there is actually a 'standard repertoire'.... so, even though I have heard many versions of these songs, I prefer these on "In A Yuletide Groove" because (a) they have harmonica, (b) they have *awesome* harmonica and not just 'meh' harmonica; and (c) the band *kicks ass*. Even if you are tired of the actual songs, the quality of the harmonica and the band make this a no-brainer to put into rotation in your music collection.

The album is beautifully recorded and the sound of the band is amazing. Chris's chromatic harmonica is toneful and he is really superb musician. As a blues player primarily, I have no idea how to do any of the things Chris can do on the chrom, but I love listening to it. I like the uptempo songs the best.

On "I'll Be Home For Christmas", the harmonica sounds like a small orchestra with softly playing horns and clarinet. I think Chris is tongue-blocking only one hole (instead of the two or three holes us blues chrom players usually do) and playing the two adjacent notes to the blocked hole. Chris, can you explain your technique on this? Also, he gets great vibrato on the ends of these harmonizing notes (or is it intervals? I don't know anything about music theory).

"Frosty" begins with some harmonica band playing as an intro, with bass, chord, and chromatic harmonica... and then the song kicks in with tongue-blocked octaves. Awesome.

"Santa Claus Is Comin' To Town" features Rob Paparozzi singing and playing diatonic harp, trading licks with Chris on the chrom. It's a lot of fun and Rob throws in a few Sonny Terry-style whoops in there.

All in all, a pretty awesome album of Christmas music with toneful harmonica and great in-the-groove playing. I do agree that many Christmas albums sound as if the artist "phoned it in", but not this one. Highly recommended by me and easily worth the nine bucks for the download (since my opinion is awesome).

Bill

--
William Lifford, CP
Progressive O&P, Inc.