Re: [Harp-L] Reed design question.

I'm guessing that the reduction in width of the high reeds was not for the purpose of reducing airflow.  As you say, all high-pitched reeds require less flow.   It may have been to balance the sound output.  As you know, the high pitches contain more sound energy.  This is why the low C3 octave does not carry well.  Narrow .072" wide reeds in the high C6 octave have been used for a long time.  There could be other more subtle reasons that I don't understand.

When you shorten a reed, you reduce the moving mass at the tip and raise its pitch.  By adding solder you have restored the pitch but have changed the design (see my previous post) to create a very stiff reed that responds poorly. This is because because it requires more breath pressure.  I suggest that instead of adding solder, you reduce the thickness near the rivet, approaching more closely the conventional design of the shorter reed.

Either by analysis or by trial-and error, harmonica manufacturers have had about a hundred years to arrive at optimum reed designs.  They vary very little from manufacturer to manufacturer.  We depart from that optimum at our peril!  It is a bit like marine technology....you should think a long time before you change something that has survived thousands of storms.

Hysteresis or loss of energy is a property of the metal which you have not changed.  Because solder at the tip does not bend, it doesn't absorb energy. I doubt very much that your problems arise from the metal behaving like a plastic.  If you added solder to the base of the reed (where it bends) to raise the pitch, it could absorb energy.

Vern