Re: [Harp-L] Reed design question.

They are mostly the same. These standardized reedslot dimensions have been standardized for a long time.  You see them on Hohners, Seydels, anything you can imagine. It seems that somebody came up with these very early in the harmonica's development, just like Richter tuning was. Seydel using this reedslot now where all reedslots are the same width basically. That's also a very old design. I have first hand experience that they were using this wider slot for the higher reeds at the very beginning of the 20th century, but they were also using a narrower one right up until about three years ago... I think the narrower slot might still be used on the Solist Pro 12. Most people can tell no difference, some can tell a little. For the most part, it all works, and even these are very minor differences between the slot sizes.  But this standardized slot idea was standardized before our great great grandparents were born.
David Payne
www.elkriverharmonicas.com

Elk River Harmonicas Forum now available via Iphone app, www.elkriverharmonicas.com/forum