Re: Subject: [Harp-L] someone spilled beer in my harmonicas!!!!!

On Sep 30, 2011, at 4:26 PM, EGS1217@xxxxxxx wrote:

> Right. I use rust and corrosion interchangeably when I  shouldn't.

In actuality, your use of the word corrosion is not entirely without merit. The word corrosion is the greater of the two words: corrosion & rust. Corrosion can take many forms. It can be basic (alkalai), or acetic (acids), or interaction with various gasses. Such as oxygen. Corrosion world INCLUDES the world of rust. Picture the U.S. as corrosion. Ergo, rust would be Texas or Alaska. In other words a big part but not the whole enchilada. Or if one pictures the entire world as corrosion, rust would be Russia.  Or our galaxy could be corrosion and Neptune would be rust. See what I mean.

Look, let's put it this way. ALL metals corrode...to some extent. Some are more noble than others. That means they corrode less. I always suspected that this was something perpetrated by nobles so that metals such as silver platinum and gold would be associated with THEM.

> In my haste to respond to Randy I didn't differentiate between  the rust I've seen
> and removed from the undersides of  covers and betweem mouthpiece layers with
> the ugly  green corrosion on reed plates (often piled with huge  amounts of
> gunk and debris) without differentiating between them. I abbreviated.  Mea
> molto culpa.<G>
>
> I'd personally never play a remotely dirty/grungy harmonica,  especially
> when it's a relatively simple process to keep them clean. The  key word (to
> me) in Randy's post was his description of his GMs as 'pristine' so  I posted
> a video from another well-known player of his acquaintance who  also
> believes in spotless harps demonstrating just how to get them  back to that
> pristine state. Randy thanked me offlist.

I have seen your harps. No one I know of keeps them as pristine as you. You and your Maas polish and tiny brushes. In the case of Randolph H. Singer, I am familiar enough with him to know that he embodies the behavior of Larry Adler & Charley McCoy, and in the famous words of 'Oddball' in the movie Kelly's Heros. Namely: "I just drive them, I don't know what makes them work." So from the way he worded his query, I assumed that he was not a 'toodler' when it comes to harps. Therefore I sent him a reply off list that should have helped.

> Guinness isn't a regular or light beer for those not aware nor is  it a
> good Russian vodka (which can easily be substituted for the Isopropyl  alcohol
> though seems a waste and surely costs a bit more?)

I only drink Polish vodka. My mother was Polish and always had some around...for medicinal purposes, you understand. lolol

> Guinness dries  to a
> thick, impenetrable 'molasses' as evidenced by his already having to  use a
> razor blade to free up 3 reeds. Soaking might work, but would still  take far
> too much time. My impression was that he was in a bit of a hurry.

That's the way I saw it too. I felt he felt that the longer he let them sit, the worse they would get. A long time ago, I would dip a harp. That had some (perceived) benefits as far as I could tell. It made the reeds heaver and therefore louder. It didn't change the tuning as ALL the reed would be wet. It closed up tolerances in the reed slots, so was like a primitive form of embossing. And lastly, the combs would swell a bit and tighten up the air loss. Nowadays, we have better harps, so none of that is necessary.

>  There'd be no reason not to scrub them 'fast and lightly' as  shown in the video.

Right.

> I  wondered if Dawn dish detergent might help remove that  type of stickiness but
> thought the suds would take an extremely long time  to rinse off afterwards?

Something that cuts grease is best. Yes, there IS grease in breath. Or, if you prefer.....oil.

> The main argument against soaking harps in water today for any length of
> time...or not to ensure that they are thoroughly dried off before storing
> despite the reminiscences of those who've 'always soaked theirs', is  purely
> because they cost far more now than the more disposable ones of  yesteryear.

Bingo. When harps were $8.50 and I made 58K a year, I didn't care. Now that they are FIVE times as much, and I am down to 40K, i think first before doing anything untoward.

> I don't know anyone today who wants to toss a custom GM, MB or MK.  Even
> some of the current crop of ootb harps can be in the $80 - $100 range. Well
> worth cleaning properly. Plastic combs have definitely improved their
> 'clean-ability', but a lot of customs still have sealed wood combs and as far as
> I'm concerned (as are some customizers I've spoken with) -  corrosion can
> affect reed play.

Simonizing a new harp helps.