Re: Subject: [Harp-L] someone spilled beer in my harmonicas!!!!!

Right. I use rust and corrosion interchangeably when I  shouldn't. In my
haste to respond to Randy I didn't differentiate between  the rust I've seen
and removed from the undersides of  covers and betweem mouthpiece layers with
the ugly  green corrosion on reed plates (often piled with huge  amounts of
gunk and debris) without differentiating between them. I abbreviated.  Mea
molto culpa.<G>

I'd personally never play a remotely dirty/grungy harmonica,  especially
when it's a relatively simple process to keep them clean. The  key word (to
me) in Randy's post was his description of his GMs as 'pristine' so  I posted
a video from another well-known player of his acquaintance who  also
believes in spotless harps demonstrating just how to get them  back to that
pristine state. Randy thanked me offlist.

Guinness isn't a regular or light beer for those not aware nor is  it a
good Russian vodka (which can easily be substituted for the Isopropyl  alcohol
though seems a waste and surely costs a bit more?) Guinness dries  to a
thick, impenetrable 'molasses' as evidenced by his already having to  use a
razor blade to free up 3 reeds. Soaking might work, but would still  take far
too much time. My impression was that he was in a bit of a hurry.  There'd be
no reason not to scrub them 'fast and lightly' as  shown in the video. I
wondered if Dawn dish detergent might help remove that  type of stickiness but
thought the suds would take an extremely long time  to rinse off afterwards?

The main argument against soaking harps in water today for any length of
time...or not to ensure that they are thoroughly dried off before storing
despite the reminiscences of those who've 'always soaked theirs', is  purely
because they cost far more now than the more disposable ones of  yesteryear.
I don't know anyone today who wants to toss a custom GM, MB or MK.  Even
some of the current crop of ootb harps can be in the $80 - $100 range. Well
worth cleaning properly. Plastic combs have definitely improved their
'clean-ability', but a lot of customs still have sealed wood combs and as far as
I'm concerned (as are some customizers I've spoken with) -  corrosion can
affect reed play.

 Changing this a bit: -People still buy what they think of as vintage  or
'antique' harmonicas and seem to find it perfectly okay to  immediately play
them without any thought of where they'd been (there's a  current thread on
another site to that effect). Not my idea of a good  time, but YMMV. At that
point to my mind ANY cleaning system would be  preferable, but - to each
his own.

Elizabeth

"Message: 7