Re: [Harp-L] Favorite Mic

My favourite harmonica mic  "thus far", was a Beyer M-60 ribbon mic. I
bought it new, in about 1965, and it was my MAIN harmonica microphone, In  use
on the road for more than twenty years.... But nothing lasts forever, and it
 simply wore out and fell to bits!
These days I mostly use a modified Astatic JT-30 "Crystal Balls", purchased
 from Kevin's Harps about 15 years ago... I did have two but one got
lost/stolen.... I did have to replace the crystal, last year.
Otherwise, I quite like my Audix Fireball V...
The old favorite, the Shure SM58,  has been in my experience  the most
reliable "general purpose" mic ever sold to the public, and I VASTLY  prefer
that, to the Shure SM57 for "my" harmonica sound...
If I was to chose just ONE mic "to own", as my ONE AND  ONLY microphone for
harmonica, it would be a Shure SM58, with on/off  switch.
But, I play both chromatic and diatonic harp, and am not greatly into that
really overdriven sound these days.... I think a crystal mic is probably
much  the best for that.
Last week I bought a VERY cheap, plastic, Chinese built,  "dynamic" mic,
for just ONE Pound (GBP), brand new.... (about 75 Cents  USA) It sounds
great.... But I doubt it will last more than one or two gigs  before self
destructing...
Different strokes for different folks....
TRY before you buy.... And use what works for YOU.
John "Whiteboy" Walden
Just now... In England.
_http://johnwalden.freevar.com_ (http://johnwalden.freevar.com)