[Harp-L] Combs Combs Combs

I love the comb debate. Everyone is different and has different tastes. I
made a solid brass comb for my Low F hoping it would have monster tone...I
was dissapointed. It is heavy, plays nice, but not much difference in tone.
Now when I take those piece of crap plastic combs off SP20 or the wood comb
off of a MBD deluxe. I notice a huge difference.

I had a long conversation with Brad Harrison about Dymondwood and he said
that he and Joe Filikso were using Dymondwood 10 years ago--it just recently
was discovered. He uses it on the B-Rads. I prefer it on my marine bands.
Great deep tone and pretty colors! Now the other thing cool about a sold,
sealed, dense comb is that the harp performs better. I think those guys know
what they are doing eh?

I taught a small harmonica workshop today at a local music store. About 10
people in attendance. Beginners to intermediate. I called someone up to the
front and told them to play their stock SP20 for a few minutes. Then I
quickly changed over the comb to a sealed bamboo and he played it.
Everyone's eyes lit up, mouths dropped open. The dude playing harmonica
looked like he just ate a big piece of cake. Everyone noticed the
difference. It was so obvious. The guy also said that his harp played
better, louder, more response, less leakage. That to me, better than the
tone change (if their truly is one) is the best reason to change out a comb.
But I'm a little biased because I sell combs so...you know take it with a
grain of salt. BUT, today's experiment was pretty interesting. Amateur
players with very little skill or "ear" for music all noticed a major
change.

Now you are welcome to disagree with me and lambast me all over the
internet, but if you send me nasty off list emails I will reply with a virus
that will send all your contacts really gross porn. So don't do it! just
kidding....ha ha. Happy Saturday everyone.

--
Matthew Smart
Hetrick Harp Co.