[Harp-L] Re: pros/cons rivets/screws

I prefer to use screws as well.  I've seen replacement done a number
of ways with the draw plate always being the most inventive.  I think
more than needing to absolutely be completely flat, you need to make
sure that you fit within the reed chamber of the comb.

For a while, I used to tap the reedplate, screw down the replacement
reed and then cut/sand the excess screw.  However,  I don't get to use
a nut.  I noticed the B-Rads have the screw coming from underneath and
a nut can then sit on the reed pad to help secure the reed.

The con is the screw head is on the draw plate.  Depending on the
screw, this can be no issue, or a huge pain.  It depends on if it fits
in the comb chamber or not.

Others have gone so far as to countersink the bottom of the reed plate
so a flat head screw will sit flat with the rest of the plate/rivets.
Obviously it is more labor intensive, but I've had no issues with the
other two methods.  However, the original leaves less room for error
as the plate needs to be perfectly tapped.  You have some wiggle room
as the screw head, in most instances, will easily cover the hole in
the reed pad.

With the blow plate, I like the look of the screw/nut over the screw
head, so I usually go that route.

Mike