Re: [Harp-L] new diatonic tuning for chromatic play with chords

I am grateful to Mr Plotnikov for his assurance that overblowing is not as hard as most think.

On the difficulties of bending, he is off the mark, as he has apparently not noticed that the bends in the tuning that I described are all simple halftone bends in a wholetone interval, unlike the Richter 3rd hole to which he refers.

On the qualities of 5-hole octaves, I would beg to differ based on my own experience having played a 10-hole fourkey harp with 5-hole octaves for over two years. Although the instrument has a range of only two octaves, it has enabled me to make better music than I was ever able to achieve with Richter and paddy-Richter diatonics, solo-tuned diatonics and chromatics, and diminished diatonics.
My best music may still be much inferior to Mr Plotnikov's, but I am sure that that is because of my own limitations, not the instrument's.

Two octaves over 10 holes? Too stretched. Overblows are not as hard as most think. Just a bit of practice. You can try valves. For my taste
and 10 years of playing straight bends with correct pitch on 3rd hole are much harder to master than 4-6 overblows. I'd watch to something
like Powerbender (but I dislike 3rd octave of powerbender). Anyway minimum overblows (or valved blow bends), no overdraws (or valved draw bends) for chromatic playing.

--
Thanks, Boris Plotnikov

Here is the layout for a 10-hole twokey harp that plays the G and C major keys (as well as A harmonic minor) without bending and that has a playable G major chord and A minor chord:

BLOW  D  F# G# A  C  E  F# G# A  C
DRAW  E  F  G  B  D  D# F  G  B  D

http://www.slidemeister.com/forums/index.php?topic=1205.msg62566#msg62566
http://4keyharps.wordpress.com/

--

Roger B. Myerson, Glen A. Lloyd Distinguished Service Professor
Department of Economics, University of Chicago