[Harp-L] Impedance advice needed

Hazcon wrote:
> This is the adapter I'm looking at ATC6824. 1/4" jack socket to XLR3 male, high to low impedance convertor.  Transformer coupled

I don't understand.  Hazcon asked if an adapter, an ATC6824, would enable him to use his mic that has a 1/4 inch male plug into a
female XLR at the PA.  I googled it to see what it was and what it looked like.  Altho the adapter I carry for this situation doesn't say the brand, on
the side it says "50 ohm > 50K ohm line transformer" and seems to work without problems whenever I've used it.  So the answer appears to be yes.
  Richard suggested a tube preamp.  Greg suggested a direct input box. Then Patrick said confirmed that these two options are more practical.
  Altho a preamp with a tube would would allow some additional ability to color the tone, how is it that these two options are more "practical"
than the simple high to low Z line transformer?
Respectfully yours,
Ron