RE: [Harp-L] The principles of backing

I find one of the most effective ways off adding to songs with backing harmonica it to use it to emphasise of the structure of the songs by playing verses and choruses completely differently, for example playing octaves during the verse and single notes during the chorus.

The further back you are in the mix the more varied you playing can be without being intrusive.  You’ve already found that adding chorus and playing chords softens the sound, I play through a pedal (a Boss VE20) which lets me switch between a relatively quiet sound with loads of reverb for baking playing and a louder drier sound for lead breaks.  Low harmonicas are also useful for keeping in the background.

But the most effective technique I’ve found for being unobtrusive is to play simple repetitive riffs and rhythms (check out “You give me more” at http://www.snakelegs.org.uk), it’s amazing how quickly you fade into the background, and how much contrast you can then add to the song by being quiet.

Hope that helps

Patrick