[Harp-L] The principles of backing

Outside of blues, the art of accompagn --... accompany -- ... accomp ...-- eh, BACKING with a harmonica is a bit tricky, I find. It´s not exactly easy in blues, but taken for granted in a sense that makes it easier; the genre is to an extent defined by that wailing harp. Jazz is also straightforward: you´re in on the arrangement and when your time comes you play 84 choruses, end of story.
  But outside of that, what, when to play?

Lately I´ve been trying to figure out ways to add something to stuff that´s in the pop/rock/country genres without being all over the place all the time. I´ve been jamming with a bunch of guys who has "too many guitars" and I´m trying not to hurt anyones feelings, as well as being keen on, as I said "adding" something to the band, not just "too many notes". (A true sign of the beginner is that he´s playing almost incessantly. Been there done that. Long time ago.)
  Also I´ve been looking for Country bands with a harp to take some cues from but it appears as if there´s only one (1) of those with a regular harmonica player (?). Elderly gentleman is bandleader, long hair, sings and plays guitar and has a reputed propensity for smoked vegetables; the harmonica player in that band OTOH is very present. I´d say Mickey R is in a sense defining the sound of the band/lead singer.
  (Country music is clearly not a very band-, but individual performer oriented musical genre. Interesting in itself, but skip that.)

Generally, what I find is best -- if there aren´t any obligatos/riffs that falls naturally -- is to use some chorus, and stay mostly on discreet octave playing. Not so much on the tonic note, but more on III or V. This gives the accordion touch, which can be nice, but (cf. a recent Dylan record) it can take over as well.
  Sometimes I don´t play anything at all -- solo excepted -- apart from a brief riff, or an occasional fill. However, in a jamming context -- or live for that matter -- this leaves you just standing there for long periods of time, trying to look as if you have something to do, but possibly just looking ... superflous or stupid. (Of course you can always bring a book, or, as Coltrane, take a nap.)

How do you, who sometimes ventures outside of blues, go about with this? I know of the usual suspects when it comes to band with a harmonica (as well as Hazmat Modine!), and an earlier thread on the list provided me with some additional names, for which I´m grateful, so I´m more looking for general principles or ideas here. Links if possible are appreciated. (jeez ... tall order.)

Thanks,
Martin