Re: [Harp-L] Re: The Wonderful Internet

Think of youtube and the rest of the internet as a form of conversation. People say good things and some really stupid things(guilty!). Same as with the web. Communication is the essence of the cultural evolution that has given us wonderful things like the harmonica, the computer and cider donuts. Our children are at present so much more technologically advanced than us old farts becuase of it. I personally thought Buddies Carnegie thing a blast to watch, but what do I know. To me most classical stuff sounds like movie soundtracks or Bugs Bunny. Luke
----- Original Message ----- From: "Zvi Aranoff" <zviaranoff@xxxxxxxxx>
To: "Harp-L" <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, October 11, 2010 4:59 PM
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Re: The Wonderful Internet

Hey Robert, I didn't post it on Youtube, I just found it there. I believe that if you contact Youtube, they'll remove it for you.

As to your main point, I disagree. While the internet enables the easy dissemination of mediocracy, at the same time it enables the easy dissemination of great quality. If it weren't for the internet, particularly Youtube clips, I would have never been exposed to virtually all of the contemporary masters. I'm willing to bet many folks on this list would attest to that as well.

Perhaps your statement, "most of the good performances are from times before the Internet or by players who were established before the internet" is factually true, but not because of the nature of the internet, but because the internet is relatively young. There's no doubt in my mind that the internet a) helps masters that weren't all that known beforehand gain much greater notoriety (what kind of following would someone like Howard Levy have without the internet?) b) helps advertise new talent (where would Jason Ricci be today if it weren't for the internet?) c) helps to introduce a large number of people to the harp, of which, some might turn out in the future to be great players, and finally, d) helps dissemination of a great deal of information (such as Harp-L!!).

In a word, I'm not ready to shut down the internet because it breeds mediocracy..