Re: [Harp-L] RE: Hohner Price Increase

For the U.S. customers in particular, don't take it personally, it's just a food for thought.

I think that the newly updated prices are not a fair deal for everyone, but I must say that living in a relatively poor country I'm used to pay these prices for the past 10 years. And now you talk about the price increase?:)  What about 40-50 US dollars for a GM or SP20 5 years ago in Ukraine where people sacrifice their other hobbies/needs but pay the price - people earning 300 USD per month with the prices in stores higher than in the U.S. It's just a different take/give balance - a hobby not for everyone. I should add that there are a few volunteers though, that's why I switched to purchasing harp-related stuff from the U.S. - just imagine it comes from Germany to the U.S. and then in my case to Ukraine (I pay from 34 to 42 US dollars for shipping some 6 harps - because Ukraine is not located in Europe but somewhere in Africa:), at least according to the U.S. Postal breakdown) and it is still cheaper to buy harps from the U.S. than in local stores or in Germany. That ridiculous situation is going to end someday I see.

And you know what, there's another aspect to this, people will continue to order from the U.S. even if the price is the same or even higher just for the reasons of quality - as for the 50-dollar harmonica in Ukraine you get a 10-dollar quality (sometimes reeds are stuck in slots, air leakage is the brandy feature for almost every Hohner harmonica, and plus .... we don't have a respective health-care law saying that once you put your lips on the harp, it's yours, that is, there could be germs of 50 people who tried it before you bought - and that's for 50 bucks!) - I don't know why, maybe because harmonicas are not properly transported or maybe a 2nd-sort instruments that didn't come through the quality control for the better country happen to arrive instead of the real ones. But the quality is bad at the same and / or higher price you guys enjoy in the States. I know that's our problem and actually nobody should follow the bad examples, but you still have some intangible things to enjoy like quality.

That's painful if you are used to lower prices and introduced with the higher ones overnight, but in general, that had to happen some 10 years ago. The only justification for the low price could be a relatively  massive demand for the instruments and profit based on sales volume revenues, which ceased to be true after the economic crisis. So, the basic law of demand and supply, in combination with the inflated prices for the resources, dictates the logical price increase, which is inevitable, and as a consequence - proper pricing approach resting on a per unit basis. That is, for instance, if you buy 2 harps per month instead of 10 as years ago, please face the music. And I address this to myself as well as I've been buying harps from the U.S. for our club needs for some 10 years.

In fine, I would like to everybody to look at things at a different angle - maybe to appreciate what is good and push for things that should improve along with the increase of prices.

Best,

Alex

Help save paper! Do you really need to print this email?

>>> <pdxharpdog@xxxxxxxxxxx> 21/01/2010 05:58 >>>

What Bill said!!  Hohner doesn't get it.  On so many levels this is just wrong. I will not buy Hohner harps in a blister card.

Ross Macdonald