Re: [Harp-L] RE: Hohner Price Increase

What Bill said!! Hohner doesn't get it. On so many levels this is just wrong. I will not buy Hohner harps in a blister card.

Ross Macdonald

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bill Kumpe" <bkumpe@xxxxxxx>
To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Wednesday, January 20, 2010 6:45:36 PM GMT -08:00 US/Canada Pacific
Subject: [Harp-L] RE: Hohner Price Increase

WARNING, RANT FOLLOWS .....

"Also Hohner is has decided to market their products in blister card
packs now to have them out on a rack rather then behind glass in a case.
They want product visibility. ÂWord from the rep is vendors aren't
happy with that move."

Packaging is not cheap. ÂThey had to re-tool to do all of that crap and
added another totally unnecessary layer of packaging to their product. ÂThat
move gave zero consideration to environmental concerns and shows a level of
environmental insensitivity that is disturbing. IMHO the cost of tooling up
for that new second level of packaging and the the new display units it
required is what has to recovered and the rest of the explanation is just so
much marketing BS. ÂI do not care for the new packaging. ÂI just don't like
buying thirty and forty dollar units in a blister pack. ÂIt devalues them in
my estimation. ÂMakes what it supposed to be a quality instrument look like
a cheap toy. ÂAnd, I like to test my new harps with the squeeze box before I
buy them. ÂI want to hear the harp and choose the one with the sweet tone
that Hans the good tech who has been there thirty years tuned on a good day
... same way I would choose any other instrument. ÂI certainly wouldn't buy
a guitar in a blister pack. ÂWhy should I have to buy a harp that way,
especially if we are talking about an increasingly expensive product? ÂAlso,
we already have retailers charging nearly forty bucks for mid line Hohner
harps. ÂWith this price increase, that will soon be fifty. ÂThat's just too
much money to justify, especially in a depressed economy. ÂOther brands
provide very good harps for less money. Â Â

Bill Kumpe
Tulsa, OK