Re: [Harp-L] Hohner in the Local Marketplace

Garry writes:

or the underlying strength of their brand and distribution channels.

That Hohner could make such a dreadful product for as long as they did speaks to the underlying perfection of their design.

Players quit the Marine Band in droves from the late 80's on and yet as the problems were corrected most of us came back.

Hohner's execution was poor. Many players were driven away. When the production problems were corrected I like many players returned to the brand. Not because of the strength of the brand and the distribution channels. I went back to playing harmonicas based on the Marine Band platform because I bought a Filisko and Joe counselled me to try his harmonica with the hand made plates. Now for the particular key I was buying Joe had not reed plates that he felt satisfied with so I eneded up scrounging an old set off of a Special 20. Apparently they were fine because Joe used them. Keep in mind that at that time I was playing almost all Lee Oskars, SBS's and Auto Valves being the exceptions. I wanted a Lee Oskar plate on a Filisko comb. Joe talked me out of it. I figured if I'm going to spend all that money, $85 at the time, I was going to listen to the guy making the harmonica. I figure it's like going out to the Sonoran Hot Dog stand and then unordering everything, what's the point? Get it how they make it. How I know the quality got better is people like Joe Stopped saying they couldn't find good plates to work with. At the time I bought that Filisko I was a Martin Dealer and I could buy any harmonica I wanted at very favourable pricing. In fact I got into that whole deal because I was having a hard time getting the Lee Oskars in the keys I wanted. I'm no Hohner fanboy (fanboi?)but I sure do like how they configure their hand made reed plates. So Garry might be right that Hohner got away with murder because they were Hohner but in the long run the marketplace will adjust and even a behemoth won't stay in business if they keep making a bad product. fjm