Re: [Harp-L] Hohner in the Local Marketplace

> I'm curious as to how often others
> find "brands other than Hohner" in local
> music shops. ...Hohner is almost always the only
> harmonica of
> professional quality available in local music stores.

Agree if considering stand-alone, owner-operated stores. Multi-store chains carry Suzuki, Lee Oskar, Huang and some no-name cheapies.

May be more Hohner units per model and per key and more Hohner chromatics on the shelves.

> and most newbies are going to end up buying a Hohner
> because that is what is
> most widely available.

Perhaps however newbies and occassional players are likely to only own one, two or three harmonicas whereas serious amateurs and pros are the ones that buy tens of them. I suspect there's not much middle ground.

Could be that a very small proportion of the customer base buys a majority of units. Might not even follow the often quoted 80/20 rule, but could be 90/10 or even 95/5.