[Harp-L] Questions for chromatic players

To John "White Boy" Walden

John, do you play all your songs using just the C chromatic? My situation is similar, and now that I'm back to playing pretty well in C on a C instrument, I want to be able to use one chromatic for every key. What are most of you chrome players doing? Do you ever get as proficient in most of the other keys? Are there a group of keys that are best to aim for first, since some aren't often used. Also, what is the "best way" to learn/practice the other keys? Thanks for any responses out there. Doug Parrish Sonora,Ca

"While I was still a child, I learnt to play harmonica on a 270 Chromatic, then I switched to "short harp" pretty well exclusively for more than 20 years. I was into blues and rock music mostly, in those days.

But since then, during the 1990's and through the inspiration of the late, great, Douglas Tate, I went back to the chromatic harmonica. Doug showed me something of the range and variations of tone and sound that are available with a chromatic harmonica. Since then I play both chrom and diatonic harp. I love them both, and play whichever fits the tune best.

It's not "either" "or"... For me its "Lets play BOTH!"

Best wishes

John "Whiteboy" Walden
Cebu City