Re: [Harp-L] Questions for chromatic players

On Jan 15, 2010, at 12:00 PM, Doug Parrish wrote:

To John "White Boy" Walden

John, do you play all your songs using just the C chromatic? My situation is similar, and now that I'm back to playing pretty well in C on a C instrument, I want to be able to use one chromatic for every key. What are most of you chrome players doing? Do you ever get as proficient in most of the other keys? Are there a group of keys that are best to aim for first, since some aren't often used. Also, what is the "best way" to learn/practice the other keys? Thanks for any responses out there. Doug Parrish Sonora,Ca

"While I was still a child, I learnt to play harmonica on a 270 Chromatic, then I switched to "short harp" pretty well exclusively for more than 20 years. I was into blues and rock music mostly, in those days.
But since then, during the 1990's and through the inspiration of the late, great, Douglas Tate, I went back to the chromatic harmonica. Doug showed me something of the range and variations of tone and sound that are available with a chromatic harmonica. Since then I play both chrom and diatonic harp. I love them both, and play whichever fits the tune best.
It's not "either" "or"... For me its "Lets play BOTH!"
Best wishes
John "Whiteboy" Walden
Cebu City

'I' started out on Khrome Khlondike (reg.) first, and while most people blow into a chromo (or harp too), I sucked. In some quarters this is still believed to be true lol). Aaaanyway, I learned the key of D first, then F, then C, Db, and so on. I was strictly an ear player. Then a terrible thing happened. I lost my chromo in a ship collision. (If you get down on the Andrea Doria, our cabin was A315. My chromo is on the dresser.)

Aaaanyway, The first thing I wanted to do when landing in New York was to replace that chromo. I went to National Record Mart, and picked one out, but somehow the counter Jer ooops clerk pulled the wrong one out of the cabinet, I found out on the street car that it was a G NOT the C I wanted. I didn't have enough money to go back and when I went back after school the next day, they wouldn't take it back. (note to self: that's when I got the impression that once you bought a chromo, you were stuck with it).

So, I had to RE learn everything I had been playing for the last couple years. AND everything was almost BACKWARDS. Aggravation? yes, but good training? yes.

So, I finally got another C and when when I was messing with trumpet, I had to start to read...a bit... and all my music was written for Bb. In other words, even if a tune was IN C, MY music wasn't. It would have been in D. So, it was easy for me to use any Bb instrument centric book to play.

Conclusion (wheeew, thank God), I now play a number of keys (not all, but about 4 major and 2 minor) fairly fluently, and of course, with the music, I can do better (maybe 6-7 major and 4 minor). The point I want to make is that I do NOT necessarily play a chromo in it's home key. In fact, I am usually in a different key. Some players play everything on a C chromo. I don't. I don't usually play a C chromo IN C. I usually play in the draw keys. F, D, Eb, Dm, and like that. None of my videos are in a chromo's home key.

As for harmonicas with different hole spacing. You will get to a time (I did) where you can jump back and forth between a diabolic and a chromo at will. And the hole spacing on a chromo is mucher mucho wider than a diabolic.

And you are correct. Use the tool that gets the job done to it's best effect. Don't use a plane when a chisel is correct. Some tunes should never ever EVER be played on chromo. In other cases, chromo is the only 'sane' choice. Unless, of course, you relish in paddling up Niagara Falls, or getting into hatchet fights with 2 firemen and a lumberjack.

smo-joe