[Harp-L] Sonny Jr. Amps

Harp-l,

I wanted to pass along a letter I sent to Gary Onofrio of Sonny Jr. Amps.
For whatever it's worth to harp players looking for an amp, I wanted to
share my thoughts and experience.  I spent the last year playing and
listening live and to sound clips and videos of every amp I could, trying to
make sure I did my due diligence before buying my first new amp ever.

Dear, Gary,

I didn't write immediately after getting my Cruncher because I didn't want
to gush on about the quality of packing material or all I could do with it
in the first 45 minutes after getting it out of the box.  I actually played
with it for a couple of hours and then ran "pink noise" (FM static) through
it for 12 hours.  How effective that is for breaking in speakers, I have no
idea, but it sounded good when my rhythm guitarist suggested it - musician
mojo.

After a month of playing it 2-4 times per week I can truthfully say that it
has the best tone of any amp I've played or heard in my 43 years of playing
blues.  It's gritty, warm, responsive, ever changing, and a source of
constant enjoyment and surprise as I try different solos and shoot for
different tones.  The response from audience members has been overwhelming -
everybody who has made a comment loves the tone.  Having always played
(used) vintage amps (Fender Twin Tweed S#257, a 1952 Gibson GA40 Les Paul
model, and a 1948 Masco PA head) I just refer to my Cruncher as "My Brand
New '52".  For capturing a tone reminiscent of Little Walter, Muddy, Big
Walter, or Jr. Wells, it is unsurpassed.

The other pleasant experience I've had is playing slide guitar through it.
Using a mid-60's, 3-pickup, 3-toggle switch, 4-dial, Hound Dog Taylor style
Kawai guitar, it's great.  I don't need an old Silvertone amp to get that
Hound Dog flavor.  The Cruncher does the job.

Anyway, I could go on about the quality, appearance and finish.  Suffice to
say they are on par with the tone - unparalleled.  The Cruncher is the dream
that harp players have had for decades, the sound we've heard in our heads,
the tone we could identify but only find on old records, the amp that no one
had been able to build, until now.  So, thank you for taking the time, doing
the research and development, and creating such a masterpiece.  I really
appreciate the quality and craftsmanship.  Forty-three years playing blues
and I'd never had a new amp - guess I was just waiting for the Cruncher and
didn't know it.

Further on up the road,

Kevin

 <mailto:bluesntrouble@xxxxxxxxx> bluesntrouble@xxxxxxxxx