Re: [Harp-L] how much was a marine band when you started?

On Jul 18, 2009, at 11:53 PM, Gary Calahan wrote:

Hello,

My earlier post regarding $1.75 Marine Bands & $2.25 Blues Harps were also
bought in Pa. A very small music store a Pa. Dutch town called Boyertown.
There was one music store in town and my dad bought a MB in every key and
maiked then to me in Iceland. The store likely didn't sell very many harps
and was happy to sell so many harps to my dad as a Christmas gift!! One of
my most memorable gifts that just keeps giving!!

Gary C

Ok, this is all starting to make a huge amount of sense. In all the time I lived in Pa, I don't think I ran across more than 2 other harmonica players. Herb Eck (current spah V.P.) & Jack Allison. They seemed to be a rarity. Now I see why the harps were so cheap. NO one was buying them in Pa., becaaaaause, NO one was playing them in Pa.

When I lived in N.Y.C. there was a harmonica player on every block. Maybe it was the water?

smo-joe (spah #1581)