Re: [Harp-L] how much was a marine band when you started?

""You can't change the direction of the wind, but you can always trim your
sails!""  Sent from Google G1 Mobile

On Jul 18, 2009 10:47 PM, "sam blancato" <samblancato@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

My first Marine Band was bought for me by my mother at "Scotty's News" in
Beaver, PA for $5.75.  That was in 1972 so I was 12.  The Air Ace's were
$3.00.

In 1981 (I was 21) I bought a Chromonica 64 at a Music Store on Shady Avenue
in Squirrel Hill, Pittsburgh for $50.00.  The price was $80.00 I think.  I
told the guy behind the counter (turned out to be the owner) that $80.00 was
too much.  I asked him if he ever really sold one and he said "no".  So I
said "do you WANT to sell one?  'Cause if you want to sell that one I'll
give you $50.00 right now for it."  He gave it to me for $50.00.  I had
already scoped out that harp on a previous occasion.  My mother had given me
the $80.00 because she wanted me to have a chromatic harmonica.  She liked
the Bill Evans album "Affinity" with Toots on it and she said I should learn
to play jazz harmonica.  I was always broke back then so I needed the money
for other stuff (I forget what).  Then I felt guilty about having spent some
of the money so I was glad that I was able to talk the guy down to $50.00.

Sam Blancato, Pittsburgh