Ray.
--
My Music - www.resgraphics.com/music

On Jan 11, 2009, at 4:01 PM, harp-l-request@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Message: 14
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2009 15:40:20 -0800
From: "James D Hoskins" <jameshoskinz@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Harp-L] the small amp for beginners controversy
To: <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>

I respectfully, but strongly disagree with the small pignose having great
tone for anyone, harp or guitar. I think far too much emphasis is placed on
the amp DISTORTION, and not enough on the sweetness of a great tube rig.
Personally if I can't blow through a great sounding tube amp, I prefer to
play acoustically (or through a vocal mic). For me the beauty in playing
through a tube guitar amp has more to do with the compression or sag of the
rectifier, and the even order harmonics we get from vaccum tubes(or valves,
if you prefer) I think there are just as many great "CHICAGO" (or Memphis,
or LA, or ?) players that play somewhat cleaner than the majority of the
posters I've read on this thread seem to think/hear. Either one of the
Walters or Sonny Boy recorded plenty of cleaner sounding harp, it wasn't all
tight cup maxed out small tube amp sound. And I personally would like to
leave that solid state amp distortion for the young rock guitarists.

All that said, I have one of those little Pignose amps, bought it at my
neighbors yard sale 2 years ago. She bought that and a cheap electric
guitar, but never learned to play, so it's almost new. The first $50 takes
it, if not I'll eventually get it on Ebay. Another 2cents JD