Re: [Harp-L] Should the blues scale be revised?

Am Donnerstag, 6. März 2008 schrieb Zvi Aranoff:
> What about the natural 3rd? Why isn't it part of the scale? It
> seems   that there are good reasons to include it in the scale.

There are also good reasons against that.

1. There are a lot of harp players who effectivly never hit the 3 draw
unbent, and while thats probably not best style and gives some
limitations to their playing it works for Blues. Vive versa omitting
the blue 3rd would leave the Blues without one of it's essential
elements. So the blue 3rd is essential to the blues, the major 3rd is
not. It's just one of the additional notes that work fine with the
Blues but not among the few that actually make a song bluesy.

2. Listing the flat 3rd as a part of the blues scale is just an
attempt to describe that scale with terms of the european notation
system. In fact it's not the flat 3rd (or minor 3rd) thats part of
the blues scale though, but it's the blue 3rd. The blue 3rd doesn't
have a specific pitch, but can vary in pitch and alter the character
of the tune. Since it's somewhere between minor and major 3rd the
blue 3rd to some point covers both notes and works with both played
in accompaniment.
While we lack a possibility to notate a blue 3rd using the european
notation system we notate it as flat 3rd, but the the major 3rd is
actually part of it, too.

--
Gruß,Frank